There are many reasons to practice preventative HVAC maintenance, and our decades of experience tell us that safety and cost top the list.
A well maintained HVAC unit provides consistent heating or cooling, improves the air quality in your home, and protects you from unexpected costs. Homeowners know better than anyone that nothing puts the brakes on a fun home renovation project quite like an unforeseen need for HVAC repair or replacement.
Benefits of practicing preventative HVAC maintenance
- You’ll save money.
- Studies show that effective preventive maintenance of an HVAC system can reduce energy costs by 5 to 40%. This can translate to hundreds of dollars each year.
- You’ll save money on unexpected emergency expenses due to compound problems with your furnace or air conditioner. Catching a problem early can save you a considerable amount of money.
- Your HVAC warranty may require it.
- Some manufacturers require that you provide proof of maintenance when you submit a warranty claim. By scheduling annual inspections of your HVAC system, you can rest easy knowing a professional has given their “stamp of approval” on your HVAC system, potentially saving you time, stress and money.
- Improve the air quality of your home.
- Did you know that the level of air pollution in your home may be up to 5 times higher than outdoor levels? This is due to the significant amount of time you spend indoors, and the many particles that are trapped in your home, such as dust, cigarette smoke, pet dander and mold.
- Keep your home safe from damage.
- Wisconsin residents know better than anyone that the bitter cold winter months can wreak havoc on your home. Keeping your furnace or heat source on throughout the winter is critical in keeping your home comfortable and safe from disasters such as frozen or busted pipes. Practicing preventative HVAC maintenance guards you against the loss of your heat source, and the potential damage to your home that extreme temperatures might cause.
Now that you understand why it’s important to practice preventative heating and cooling system maintenance, here are several common questions we hear from our customers:
When should I change my HVAC filter?
We recommend changing the filters in your heating and cooling systems at least once every three months. If you live in a smoking household, or a home with pets, you should replace your air filters once a month. Routinely changing the air filters in your home will greatly improve air quality, and will reduce the amount of stress on your HVAC system.
When should my HVAC duct work be replaced?
This is a great question, and the truth is, there isn’t a “one size fits all” answer. The ductwork in your home will deteriorate over time. The lifespan of your HVAC system’s ductwork is greatly influenced by the amount the system is used, how old the ductwork is, and environmental factors that stress the seams of the ducts. If you know your ductwork is at least 10 years old and has never been inspected or serviced, we recommend having a professional inspect your HVAC system to ensure the integrity of the ductwork is sound.
When does my HVAC system need to be replaced?
Replacing or upgrading your HVAC system is a considerable but worthwhile investment. If your existing HVAC system is over 10 years old, you might want to consider upgrading to a new energy efficient heater or air conditioner. Newer units consume less energy, which will save you money over time. You may even be eligible for energy efficiency tax credits.
Which HVAC brand is best?
Since 1919, Jackson Hardware Heating & A/C has been a proud installer and servicer of Lennox HVAC systems. We’ve spent decades servicing heating and cooling systems of all types and brands, and Lennox has by far afforded our customers the best experience at a fair price. Because of our close, long-standing relationship with Lennox, we can offer our customers the most competitively priced HVAC systems backed by some of the best warranties in the industry.
Trust the professionals
Whether you need assistance with your routine HVAC maintenance, or if you are in need of HVAC repair, the friendly and knowledgeable technicians at Jackson Hardware Heating & A/C are ready to help. We service all of Washington and Ozaukee county. Call us at 262-677-3477 or fill out our contact form today!